The maple tree is a wonderful plant, but sometimes there are reasons why homeowners want to get rid of it. The question immediately arises in a logical way – “How to do it correctly?” You are a lucky person because you are at the right time and in the right place! This article was created especially for you because now we will describe how to kill a maple tree.
Some people are surprised when a homeowner wants to kill trees in his yard. Such a reaction is clear and understandable. But not everyone understands how sometimes it is not only just desirable but also necessary to kill trees because for some reason they can harm the homeowner and overshadow his stay on his home territory.
However, whatever the reason and motives, no matter what anyone thinks about killing trees, in this article we only tell you how to do it correctly. So let’s get started soon.
How do you kill a small maple tree
There are several best methods you can use in order to kill a small tree.
You can use:
– Tordon method
– Herbicide method
– Roundup method
Basically, these are the main methods that are used to kill the tree. Another issue is that they differ in the ways they are used. Tordon or Herbicide can be used to kill trees in different ways. We will describe all this below in the article. But for the small unwanted maple tree it is usually Roundup used as it is the viable option.
Remember that the combination of knowledge of detailed and clear instructions together with compliance with safety rules and existing laws will give a completely successful result.
How to kill a tree without cutting it down
To kill the standing tree safely and effectively use these methods.
1) Try to measure about 30 centimeters from the lower base of the tree bark. Then take the Tordon pump sprayer and apply this killing spray on that lower part where is no bark.
2) To kill a tree with roots, you will need to cut the bark of your tree in such a way that the small “wounds” are in the circumference of the bark of the whole tree. After that, use a strong herbicide such as Roundup or Thordon to coat the tree with this deadly substance.
3) Get rid of the 10-20 cm wide ring of tree trunk bark around the tree. Use herbicide to coat it with this substance.
4) Make a few small holes (about 5-10 centimeters deep inside) around the entire trunk of the tree and apply herbicide inside these holes to kill the tree.
5) You can also use a leaf herbicide to kill a tree less than 4.5 meters tall. Just apply some substance (Roundup) to the leaves.
These five methods will help you kill a tree safely, effectively, and permanently.
Basal bark processing
All methods include only taking Thordon spray. It is designed in such a way that you just take it and spray it on some area.
Specifically, you will have to spray the substance on the first 30 centimeters from the lower base of the tree bark.
Note that you will only have to use Tordon, and Roundup is not at all suitable for this method because you are dealing with large trees.
Cut surface treatment
This method involves first loosening the natural “fence” that is the tree’s bark protection, and then impregnating the exposed wood with a mixture that kills the tree.
To do this:
1) To begin with, at the base of the tree for about 15-60 centimeters, make quite impressive and serious cuts. Use an ax to cut off the base at a slight angle.
2) Make periodically repeated cuts, similar to those you made earlier at the base, only now around the entire circle of the tree.
3) When you have finished cutting, also known as the surface cut method, and notice that the wood is already exposed, move on to using Tordon or Roundup.
4) Don’t put off applying. To successfully destroy the roots and prevent the growth of new shoots, it is necessary to cover the sections with the substance as soon as possible.
Well, we will explain what is the meaning of this procedure.
The bottom line is that you penetrate into the vulnerable part of the tree and saturate the wood with a spray that should soak into it and kill the whole tree.
By the way, in this case, it makes no difference whether you use Roundup or Thordon, since both substances contain glyphosate, and this is the main thing, because glyphosate is a plant killer.
In the previous method, Roundup cannot be used for the reason that the substance would be too weak to kill your tree and reach the roots without breaking through its bark. Instead, you’ll only get grass and other plants that are young and more vulnerable next to trees damaged by Roundup fumes. In our case, we attack the weak part of the tree and kill it easily.
By the way, when spraying Thordon to kill a tree, do not be surprised that the treated trees turn blue. This is done on purpose so that you can see which areas are being sprayed and which are not.
Ring barking is a very effective method of killing trees, which will allow you to kill the top of the plant and its lower part along with all the roots of the trees. You will definitely get rid of all new shoots.
To do this:
1) Get rid of the tree trunk bark ring. Just cut the wood to a depth of 10-20 centimeters inside in a circle around the entire tree.
2) Don’t delay and immediately apply herbicide (Thordon Spray or Roundup) to all bare and freshly cut surfaces.
This method will be useful if you want to not only stop growth, but also make sure that all the roots of the tree will not survive by applying the herbicide and you will end up with a completely dead tree.
This method is also quite easy to perform. You will need a drill and a roundup or thordon.
To do this:
1) Use your drill and then start drilling inside your tree (about 4 centimeters deep) following its circumference.
2) Leave a distance of approximately 5 centimeters when you drill holes.
3) Make holes that go down at an angle into the base of the tree (45 degrees).
4) Fill your holes with Tordon or Roundup
This method is most often used by those homeowners who do not want to cause too much mess and dirt in their yard, and who also want to be sure that the killing substance does not get on nearby trees or plants.
You can use the Foliar Herbicide as well in order to kill the tree less than 4,5 meters tall. Just apply some substance (Roundup or a selective weed killer) on all the tree leaves.
Advice! Choose the quiet day when you will be sure that the killing substance will not be transferred by the wind from one tree to nearby trees or desirable plants. The early summer and spring will be the ideal seasons for applying herbicide on the small tree leaves.
How to kill and remove a small maple tree
Check this instruction if you want to know how to kill and remove a small maple tree.
Cutting the Tree and Branches
In this case, the first thing to take into account will be the selection of a suitable tool for tree removal. For the small trees, choose the small tools, for the large trees – the large tools. For example, to cut a tree, you will be able to take only the saw that is designed for trees. Especially those with large teeth are preferred because then the cutting process will be easier. The battery-powered reciprocating hand saw is suitable for medium-sized trees, and full-fledged chainsaws are suitable for large trees.
But another important factor will be safety, because if you do not provide everything properly, then you risk injuring yourself or your property. Be as careful as possible with large trees and cutting the main trunk, because if you cut it thoughtlessly, it can even fall on your house.
It is better to hire a tree removal specialist if you are not confident in your abilities so that you do not regret that you dropped a tree on a car or house while the tree removal process…
Removing The Stump
After you got rid of the tree itself, there was an annoying stump? Well, we understand! You know, in fact, we would not advise you to strain too much in removing stumps, because you can just cut it down to ground level and everything will be fine. Removing a stump is not the easiest and fastest process, so think a few times before starting this business. The grass can grow over the stump if you want.
But if suddenly you still do not give up your desire to remove the stump from your garden, then here are some tips for you.
First, dig up the ground around the stump so that the saw fits there. Then start cutting the stump from the bottom with roots. Then bury the ground and plant grass in the garden. That’s it!
Note! A battery-powered reciprocating hand saw will be more suitable for this purpose.
To learn more about how to remove a tree stump, read my article How To Get Rid Of A Tree Stump With Charcoal.
How to kill and remove a large maple
Check this instruction if you want to know how to kill and remove a large maple tree.
Cutting the Tree
To begin with, study the prices of services offered by professional specialists dealing with the removal of large maple trees. If you want to do all this by yourself and think that it will cost you less, then let’s check together whether this is really the case.
– First of all, you will need at least minimal protective equipment.
– Secondly, you will have to get a saw for cutting the trees.
– Thirdly, you will pay all the penalties yourself if you suddenly damage something during the removal of trees, while a professional will cover everything with his insurance.
Well, if you still do not deviate from the goal and decide to do everything yourself, then here’s a tip for you. Cutting large maple trees is the same as cutting small ones, but only in this case, you will have to cut the tree into small pieces starting from bottom branches to top branches or from small branches to big branches. Do not try to cut down all the big trees at once. It won’t end well.
Removing and Disposing of the Stump (Stump grinder using)
Here are the best methods. You can burn the stump, grind it with special equipment (stump grinder) or hire a professional and just pay money for the service without worrying about these problems. Of course, the third option will work for sure than if you do it all yourself.
What is the Best Time of Year to Kill a Tree with Herbicide?
When you introduce a chemical herbicide, it means that you are aiming to send this herbicide down to the roots in order to completely kill the tree and prevent the growth of new sprouts. In autumn, the sap of the tree flows down, which means that all the herbicide solution falls exactly down to the roots with the sap. In the spring, the opposite situation occurs. The chemical herbicide will not get to the maple trees roots, so choose autumn to apply herbicide in order to kill the entire tree.
Final words how to kill a maple tree
So, let’s sum up. After reading our article, you have learned all the methods of killing trees. We hope that our instructions have helped you to kill the tree to the last root.
View article sources:
Enlo, S.F. and K.A. Langeland. “Herbicides for the Control of Invasive Trees in Home Landscapes and Surrounding Natural Areas”. Publication No. SS-AGR-127 . University of Florida IFAS expansion, 2016
Stelzer, Hank. “Removing Unwanted Trees from Your Forest: Part I”. Green Horizons vol. 10, no. 1, 2006.
Stelzer, Hank. “Removing Unwanted Trees from Your Forest: Part 2”. Green Horizons, vol. 10, no. 2, 2006.